Tuesday 31 May 2016

WHY are CHILDREN still DROWNING?


Today, a very hot, less than perfect day for cycling, nevertheless found me riding along the Thames River parkway, finally stopping at Tim’s for refreshment.  Not being a home recipient of newspapers, I still find it comforting to sit down with one as a companion for my iced coffee and chocolate croissant.

It was the turn of the National/Financial Post today, and the front page headline was, “WHY are CHILDREN still DROWNING” (Their quirky use of Caps, not mine).

The text pointed out the latest sad loss of hundreds of drowned migrants in the Mediterranean Sea, accompanied by a photo of another dead young boy.  Focussing on the question, “WHY ?” I continued to read about the little effort being made by the overworked U.N. High Commission for Refugees.

Whoah!  I said to myself, firstly, they are just migrants until a second country, after some examination, awards some of them refugee status.

Jumping onto my bike I tried to rush home (Yes, John, I still rely on 20-inch wheels), rudely awoke my computer from ‘Sleep’ and googled ‘National Post’.  Unbelievably, following an exhaustive search, the article in question could not be found.  

Newspaper - dominant front page news.  Webpage - nothing ... nowhere.

I assumed that they were avoiding unwelcome ‘comments’.  This was quite annoying because I wanted to answer the, apparently, difficult but, in fact, easy question.

The obvious answer is, of course, SEND THEM BACK.

Thousands more prospective migrants are waiting in North Africa to travel to the gold-paved sidewalks of Europe.  They know that it is possible because no one returns to tell them otherwise.


Any more questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment