Saturday 17 October 2020

Quotation -- Art

Truth Tellers: Leo Tolstoy, in Love With Truth

 

Count Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Leo Tolstoy) 1828 - 1910

 “Art is not a pleasure, a solace, or an amusement;  art is a great matter.  Only through the influence of art the peaceful cooperation of man will come about, and all violence will be set aside.”


An interesting biographical snippet:

It may surprise some readers to learn that of all art forms, the great Leo Tolstoy, the great man of letters, was most moved by music. His son, Serge, a composer, said that no man he had ever known was so deeply affected by music as his father. Notable people witnessed his reaction to music as well. The great Russian basso Feodor Chaliapin recalled that when he came to sing for Tolstoy, Sofia Tolstoya drew him aside saying: “It might be that when you sing, my husband will shed tears. Please try not to notice, as he would feel terribly ashamed.” Tchaikovsky also noted in his diary: “Perhaps I have never in my life been so gratified and my creative ambition so touched as when L.N. Tolstoy, sitting beside me and listening to the andante of my First String Quartet, burst into tears.”

Raymond Beegle


Complete Article:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/truth-tellers-leo-tolstoy-in-love-with-truth_3533979.html



1 comment:

  1. I think, should I ever regain the ability to read novels again, probably, I should start with Leo.

    ReplyDelete