Saturday 21 October 2017

The Mac mini (Open Letter)



I subscribe to a popular computer magazine and, this morning, I received an e-Report suggesting that Apple may be considering the removal of the Mac mini computer.  In a conversation with Tim Cook, this rumour was denied, but the editor asked for some comment, and I wrote the following (knowing that I have a number of Mac followers).

As a Senior Citizen, I have no need for a laptop computer.  I have no need to travel with a computer … at least, nothing more than my mobile phone.  At home, the top of my desk could be larger, but it isn’t.  There are times (believe it or not) when I need to read a book or write something with paper and pencil … remember those things?  My Mac mini sits quietly, unnoticed, at a corner of my desk, in the shadow of a large monitor.  Of course, the Mac Pro would also satisfy my need but I can’t, for the life of me, understand why I should pay $4,000 for something to replace my $600 Mac mini.  Oh, it’s faster (you say).  So, when I save my report (for example) the Pro will do it 0.01 microseconds faster than my mini.  Are you kidding me?  Am I going to notice that?   Obviously, if my son (imaginary) wants to edge his way into first place during the 499th lap of a Grand Prix race game, I may concede the point.

Therefore, Tim Cook, as a fan since my first Apple IIc, please improve the Mac mini a little if you must, but do not remove it.

Gratefully,


Bernie McCann

No comments:

Post a Comment