Saturday 24 March 2012

Education 3 - Volunteer Teaching


I was recently introduced to a university in Bangladesh that was in need of a volunteer English language teacher.  But, after sending my resume, the reply stated that a PhD. was required, although a MA. English or MEd. with a TEFL certification, would be acceptable.

Naturally, I was very surprised, because in essence, additionally, they were saying that besides the academic qualifications, I would be required to pay my own travel costs (without reimbursement) and accept no salary.  If I were sarcastic, I would say that there must be hundreds of doctoral professors just queuing up to fill this post.

I feel it necessary to amplify my reason for surprise with a couple of examples.  I have devoted my life to an aerospace-related career, culminating in the writing of a user guidebook that, today, resides in the library onboard the International Space Station ... and a PhD. was not required to do that.  Recently, I returned from spending many productive years in China, successfully teaching English students from junior to postgraduate levels ... and a PhD. was not required to do that.  Maybe I should add, that I judge my teaching success from the number of Chinese students who still write to me asking me about a return visit.

Concerned about this, I searched the Internet for similar opportunities, and discovered to my additional surprise that, previously, I was simply experiencing the tip of an iceberg.  It seems, generally, in order to volunteer for posts overseas one must associate with one of the many NGO’s in this business.  These NGO’s, although accepting of my lowly BA. degree, not only require that one pays for the airfare, but also  between $500 and $1,500 per month for the “privilege” (actual quote) of teaching at the colleges.  No doubt, it must be a privilege to live and work in a country with a 5-month monsoon season, a mosquito-infested environment, deep mud for roads, no safe drinking water, and electricity blackouts every day.  I suggest that there should be a serious investigation of the definition for the term ‘non-profit’.

I guess that there is nothing like the feeling of a teacher scorned.

Postscript - Since writing the above, I have been invited as a Visiting Fellow to another university in Bangladesh, in May, with more suitable conditions.  You may expect to read a blog with exciting details in the autumn of this year.



4 comments:

  1. Good luck Bernie.
    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now we come to the crux of the matter: a teacher scorned. You join our ranks, I see. I have a B.A, a B.S. an M. A. and have completed class credits for a Ph.D. in English and one in Comparative Literature, too. I never completed a Ph.D because this credential is pointless in our new world. I work side-by-side with many people who have Ph.Ds who are adjuncts. We work in a country with none of the problems you encounter in Bangladesh, or even in China; we are rich. Teachers in the United States are given the “privilege” of teaching in a country where we have to unionize to bargain for wages that can support us in this rich economy. If we are part-time workers, so much the worse. For every dollar that our “non-profit” university took in prior to 2009, we make somewhere between three and nine cents of that dollar. What is more, Moody’s report on education tells us that fewer and fewer PhDs will have tenure track positions (28 cents). They will be untenured professionals with lower salaries (15 cents) and no job security, although this class of teacher is also shrinking. Moody’s continues that most of the “professors” in universities will join the burgeoning ranks of adjuncts, which have already exceeded 50% of the faculty.

    Adjuncts at Wayne State University formed a union and have joined our parent affiliate, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). Our union local’s first contract raised the bar on a minimum salary from three cents to six cents on a dollar; however, we still have members of our unit who claim they don’t want to pay dues because they are “professional.” They would work for nothing at all. We have many of these “hobbyists” who work full-time and teach night school for the prestige. These would definitely be a target of those NGOs about which you write. Mind you, the part-timers were the last group to organize. The full-time tenure and non-tenure track professors unionized long ago; the graduate teaching assistants who have only bachelor degrees also unionized five years before we got our act together. Of course, those of us who have self-respect and believe our services are worthy of equal recompense for equal work, regardless of what college degree that we hold, we know that we are laborers selling our services even though we may also be professionals.

    Bernie, I am not surprised at all those NGOs who want to send people overseas to work for nothing, nor am I surprised that they can actually find people to fill these openings. Welcome to the Adjunct World. To that end, I am attaching a link to Adjunct Nation. http://www.adjunctnation.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My visit to Dhaka was a decision made on the spur of the moment. Two months ago, I had never heard of volunteer teachers other than teaching assistants who always seemed to have their expenses reimbursed.

    In China, a qualified English teacher will have to trouble finding a good salaried position, including the airfare reimbursed upon completion of a one-year contract.

    Your Michigan example is quite revealing and a study of, what appears to be an excess of teachers, especially the "hobbyists" is unfortunate. Anyone can teach, right! (sarcasm).

    I believe that there is a magazine called 'Parenting'. Perhaps, more parents should be aware of this ... there seems to be an article for you here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do these NGO's understand the meaning of the word *Greed*?

    ReplyDelete