Saturday 28 June 2014

Politics 11 - Dual Citizenship



It’s the weekend and, again, I am left with reading the newspapers to justify my wide knowledge of world affairs.  Stretched wide and, thus, thin on substance.  But there are some subjects that inspire forceful discussion, and one of them is dual citizenship.  Therefore, I searched this Blog and, to my surprise, realized that I had not written on the subject before, apparently.

I have been traveling quite a lot recently and, each time, I think back many decades to my first international journey as a dual citizen (Montreal Mirabel to London Heathrow).  I departed Montreal Immigration with my new Canadian passport and, upon arrival in London, I was confronted by a short Green line for U.K. citizens, and a Red line stretching to the distant horizon for the rest of us.  Quickly, I took out my U.K. passport and, with a smug smile, joined the Green line.  Of course, when the officer studied my passport he asked, without looking up, “Where are you from, sir?”  Not noticing any sign of humanity in his eyes, I carefully answered, “Canada.”  “There’s no Canadian stamp,” he said, looking at me as if I was deliberately concealing something.  “No,” I replied triumphantly, “I decided to use the Green line.”  “That’s illegal,” he said, as he officiously stamped my quickly produced Canadian passport.  “Don’t do it again.”  (In other words, use only one passport for each round trip).

That’s when I discovered that dual citizenship does not provide equality, and I remembered this as I read about someone being wrongly imprisoned in Egypt today.  Human rights activists are pouring out of the woodwork to decry this case, but I must tell them that not all rights are equal.  In China, innocent, peaceful people are prosecuted for their religious beliefs (for example) and end up being forced to donate their organs for transplant.  That is an obvious and horrible example against human rights.  But if an Egyptian-Canadian travels to a country rife with danger, and uses his Egyptian passport, then, he becomes an Egyptian in that country and is, obviously, looking for trouble ... and Canadian Foreign Affairs can do little.  Equally, if a Syrian-Canadian travels to Syria as a self-declared freedom fighter (terrorist) the same danger applies ... and if he returns to Canada, he should be arrested, and jailed, for contravening the rules of immigration.

I do not want my country to become a hideout for religious extremists.  Do you?




11 comments:

  1. Hi Bernie

    It’s my belief that there should be no national passports. Dual citizenship is really only the first step to recognizing that our loyalties as well as our locations are fluid. If I received at birth, a World Citizen passport that allowed me to cross any border because I am recognized as a resident on earth, that would promote the idea that I am a citizen of this planet instead of a country. That would stem nationalism that leads to war (at least until we are actively traveling in space and have the same problem creating “others” on other planets). In that way, terrorists and militants who were promoting separatist ideas that lead to violence OR war, these would be apprehended and would lose their citizenship in the world. These would not be able to travel, period!

    Wouldn’t I love to see the warmongers in Washington DC try to escape the military forces who are now employed at apprehending trouble spots and stripping away travel rights! And Syria? Pshaw! Done! That guy’s a life-er.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps, in one thousand years, if the Earth is still populated by homo sapiens. Actually, it may require one million years. Then, this planet could be a haven of ideal peacefulness where your dream may exist. But you do suggest (humans being humans) that there will, still, be remnants of terrorist groups to be found ... as long as there will be a God to sanction their actions. Now, rather than restrict their travel, I suggest that they could be shipped to Mars ... or even further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Canadian passport is equal to any other passport in Heathrow or Gatwick. It is different when we return to Pearson where a special line is used for holders of Canadian passports and the 'others' are left to languish. I arrived home on Sunday and found a room full of 'others' being served by four agents. As a true Canadian I felt sorry for them as I sauntered out to baggage claim,
    What goes around comes around some times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Additionally, it seems that digital registration points enable Immigration to know who you are ... even before you are visible to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People who are lucky enough to become Canadians should retain a little common sense and stay away from dangerous places like Egypt, Iran, Syria and many other places where they may be treated poorly ... stupid is as stupid does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernie, Bernie, wherefore at thou?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to finish my chicken curry as I compare the advantages of my different passports.

      Delete
  7. It's good to know you are still alive, old man.
    Chicken curry is an Indian dish available in many countries. We need another clue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thousands of bald men and boys wearing brown blankets scurrying between hundreds of golden temples and 7-11 convenience stores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are in a comfortable tropical country and I hope are fulfilling your dream. Maybe your blog will describe your adventures. It will be interesting and perhaps titillating for your followers. Have fun, live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I received your clue and it looks like a beautiful place.
    Live long and prosper my friend.

    ReplyDelete