Friday 2 January 2015

2015 - New Year's Resolution

I shall be very brief;  my infrequent resolution for this year is a piece of extraordinary advice ... perhaps, a warning to some.

I spent most of last year overseas, enjoying myself and giving very little thought to events at home.

Having travelled throughout my life, last year was different.  I mean that I was not setting up a home, or just visiting somewhere for a short restful vacation.  I was travelling back and forth, as a volunteer teacher at universities that had uncertain periods of employment ... and doubtful promise of financial gain.

Thus, it seemed at the time, that plastic cards with titles such as Visa and MasterCard would ensure that any need for financial wellbeing was satisfied.  Normally, this was a practicable policy;  When living abroad, there was always my overseas bank to draw from, and on short vacations, one would return home to settle credit accounts.  But it was very different last year.

I started the year with the usual wallet full of US dollars, but these soon dwindled.  Nevertheless, why worry, because there were those comforting credit cards.

Therefore, still trying here to be brief, I became totally ignorant of sensible banking practices.  Remember, these were places of affective midday sun.

Yes, you've guessed it, I spent most of the year, obtaining cash from ATM's with my credit cards, without any care about the minimum payment requirements ... or the resultant compounding interest.

Thus, upon my final return, and seeing the catastrophic bank statements, I have just one important piece of advice:  Even though using a credit card to pay for a short hotel stay or a nice meal, never use a credit card to obtain cash ... unless the monthly statement is paid in full.

Please allow me to repeat;  NEVER USE A CREDIT CARD AT AN ATM.

Happy New Year.


3 comments:

  1. Credit cards are dangerous pieces of plastic Bernie. They provide convenience at the highest most usurious cost that even Shylock would envy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John, for the greatest understatement on this Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I most emphatically agree that cash is the best~ China taught me that. As ever the 1st,2nd and last law of banking is : do the public in!

    ReplyDelete