Sunday 10 May 2015

Bizarre Occasion 2 - Breakfast


It was 8:00 AM, Sunday morning;  I was standing, partially dressed, at my window (the same one), with my nose close to a small opening of the ecologically designed double glazing hoping that there was more oxygen outside than within (not a scientific statement), and my attention became focussed on the A & W fast-food restaurant (“The home of the hamburger”) across the street.

There was much activity, and the small car-park was almost full ... at 8:00 AM ... on a Sunday!  Bizarre?

I tried to picture a pre-sunrise scene inside the homes of these families.  The mother downstairs shouting up to the kids, “Hurry up;  we’re going to get breakfast now.”  Adding, “Just put some clothes on;  don’t bother with a shower.”

Dad is already outside, clearing the frost from the car windows.

The family come out.  There is no sign of enthusiasm;  shoe laces untied and coats over their arms.  I can hardly imagine the joyful sense of occasion when they arrive at the restaurant ... and discover that the $3.00 special has been discontinued.

Then, I notice a long queue at the ‘Drive Thru’ area.  I think to myself, why on Earth do they want a ‘take-away’?  Perhaps, there are some homes where the mother will shout, “Dad, will you drive over to A & W and get our breakfast.”  I am aware of the great North American Sunday Brunch ... but 8:00 AM!

Are you about to accuse me of xenophobia?

This is Canada ... and bizarre.



4 comments:

  1. You are becoming philosophical Bernie. Is everything alright?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean contemplative or long-suffering?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You appear to be contemplative but in reality you are long-suffering and not self fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete