Saturday 21 September 2019

Racism - An Introduction



During my teenage years (In those precarious eons when fire-breathing dragons roamed the school playing fields) I was chosen to play Antonio in the play The Merchant of Venice.  I imagine that Italians were considered to be dark-skinned at that time and, thus, I wore skin-darkening makeup.  

Somewhere, amongst my ‘treasures’ may be found a photograph … but no video.  

Incidentally, it being a boys school, Portia was played (with a few giggles) by a classmate.  He knew nothing about a ‘Me-too’ movement.  

Today’s subject is racism.

Racism [noun]  Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior:  A programme to combat racism.  The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:  Theories of racism.

Based on the outrage in the media, I considered it necessary to reveal my coloured past, just in case    well, you know, there could be an important position vacant tomorrow.

Honestly, this subject is absurd, almost everyone could be described in such a manner of identifying as racist according to the definition (above) should we wish to stretch the definition.

Yesterday, I visited a local popular beach.  There, I witnessed hundreds of people laying [sic] in the sunshine attempting to change their skin colour into various shades of brown.  Well, I’m just saying.  Could you share the argument in your mind with us.  


P.S.  Interestingly, Antonio has been described as the consummate bachelor which, personally, is somewhat ironic … if not God’s will.


7 comments:

  1. My dear wife grew up in England during the 1940's and 1950's, like you, Bernie. She would not consider herself racist, except with respect to the enemy, (we know who that was then, 'nuff said, say no more), and the only people of colour she saw were American soldiers on leave in her town. It was a very 'white' place and the words used to describe people of colour, particularly Africans, who they only knew from books, films and hearsay were very colourful. I'm sure you know what I mean, it was also true where I grew up in Ontario.

    Times changed, people came here from many parts of the world. Words, thoughts and actions of earlier times became unacceptable and eventually implied the user to be ignorant or worse. The same happened throughout Canada, the US, UK and many other, nominally, white countries.

    What has this to do with the case in point?

    I suggest the young man who became PM had not evolved from the old model of a privileged white male and, even as an adult, he jokingly played the idiot shown in the images. His upbringing did not equip him for the new Canada, except at a superficial level, where it was politically advantageous to play someone he is not. His 'more righteous than thou' style of speaking, appearing and acting confirms he really is the idiot we have been shown in the images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we can discuss, even argue, the definition of the word ‘racism’, it is also difficult to discuss the recent revelation that Mr. Scheer has, more than once, bluntly stated that he “doesn’t need the indigenous vote”.

    What say you ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what Mr. Scheer said. It would not be a smart thing to say and is probably false news from the Liberal War Room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I'm surprised by your choice of phrase (false news). You may enjoy the fact that the specific words quoted were said in a previous campaign. Nevertheless, he has stated such dangerous beliefs in this campaign (See the Maclean's TV Debate). You may find a Google search useful.

    I agree, it was not a smart thing to say.

    Incidentally, it highlights my original controversial, but psychologically correct, theory that only two kinds of human exists; the racist and the insincere hypocrite (Based on the full dictionary definition).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Bernie, you've done it! I see my pet peeve (well, one of them) in your writing - laying in the sunshine. It's "lying" - intransitive. Sorry, I just had to react.

    As for the racism discussion - I can't offer a comment. I know humans are inferior to cats and I just have to live with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall always be grateful for your decision to join me in technical writing and for the education that you brought. I offer no excuse for "laying" in the sunshine and, no doubt, it will not be the last time.

      Actually, it reveals a secret that, linguistically, may be of interest. Language was never my forte (It was unnecessary in the physics classroom) but emigrating to Canada placed me within a publications department where I managed a group of graduate editors. It occurred to me that they should feel safety in numbers but, in reality, they were all lacking confidence in their language skills. Over time, it became evident, as they visited my office (cubicle) to question the grammatical accuracy of certain text, that I had an interesting flair for providing accurate grammatical advice without the necessary academic qualifications. Many years later, I would reflect on this matter and, now, it is revealed. As the only ‘Brit’ in the department, my manner of speaking (enunciation) and turn of phrase was quite noticeable and often, in moments of humour, I would exaggerate these aspects. Of course, unconsciously, I was unaware that my editors assumed an Oxbridge education and, thus, every answer was accepted without question, and I remain ignorant of the difference between ‘transitive’ and ‘intransitive’. Whenever, my answer was questioned with “Why ?” My stock reply of “I dunno” provided a safe retreat … to my cockney origins.

      What’s your other pet peeve ?

      Returning to the Subject, I wonder how many people have ever attended a fancy dress party where there were; Asian emperors, African warriors, Arab sheiks, Pacific grass-skirted dancers, America indians, etc. Permit me to rest my case … without embarrassment.

      By the way, cats have only been domesticated for a thousand years, hence their ability to become feral within one generation.

      Delete
  6. The definition, "characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to ..." agrees with you.

    ReplyDelete