Saturday 9 November 2019

Astigmatism - A Revelation


I have recently discovered that I have astigmatism and there is nothing really revelational about that except to reveal that my local optician could not fully explain its impact to the patient (me).  Leaving the patient to discover for himself.

It was, as a teenager and electronics student, that I discovered that I was colour-blind (Discrete electronic components use colour to distinguish their value) and, unfortunately, it could have been a career-changing event if I had not seriously adapted to it (I say unfortunately, because my chosen career was a significant error). 



A decade later, a blood vessel ruptured behind the retina causing a visit to the local Emergency Room, and the additional diagnosis of macular degeneration … being a teaching hospital I immediately became the centre of study for a long time, even though, today, I remain curious that the ruptured blood vessel was responsible for the ARMD.  But I digress.  After all, later in life I earned a pilot license that required special eye tests.

Later, in my middle age, a routine medical examination caused my GP to mention the signs of cataracts, but that I was not to worry as it would be a long time before it was serious … so I took him at his word … and forgot about it ... until I met my favourite opthalmologist in China.

About five years ago, my new GP, as a result of testing poorly with the standard eye chart, advised me to visit an optician.  This produced a prescription for glasses and no verbal consultation.  There was no mention of cataracts or anything else, just the advice to buy prescription glasses.  I was already buying off-the-shelf reading glasses and, thus, assumed that the complicated magnification formulae that was written down was intended to simply assist my ability to read … so I bought a new pair of reading glasses … and continued with my life (as they say).

Last year, to cut a long story short, I had cataract surgery, which required a follow-up examination.  It is here that the word ‘astigmatism’ was first mentioned, with a strong warning that I should not drive a car.

You may. now, understand why I use the word revelation.  Apparently, I was, slightly, but legally blind and had been for some time !

I collected my new prescription glasses last week, and with the benefit of Wikipedia studies, I realized that opticians, who were personally unaffected with astigmatism, were at an important disadvantage in describing the effects to a patient.

You see, just as my brain had adjusted to colour-blindness in being able to see correctly the traffic lights or, more importantly, the difference at night between the main runway and taxiway lights, my brain had adjusted the astigmatic field of view.  My brain was telling me that everything that it could see was perfect and normal when in fact, it was not, and needed prescription lenses to show the brain the correct signals from the retina. 



Sphere
Cylinder
Axis
Prism
Base
Add
PD
OD
0.00
-1.50
90


2.25

OS
0.00
-1.75
84


2.25


Theoretically, all objects in my field of view, for one reason or another, were slightly distorted and, therefore, each letter on the standard eye chart (for example) had left and right fuzziness, especially when I moved my head around, because both the cylinder and axis is different in both eyes.

Now, for the first time in decades, my field of view is not only wider but clearer, and my brain is still trying to adjust … when I remember to wear the glasses.   Hopefully, dear readers, this essay will create some thoughtful attention regarding visits to a skilled optician. 

2 comments:

  1. Your essay is very good and I think there is nothing to be edited or changed as that’s how you truly felt. It’s actually very interesting to me and i’m glad that your shared it with me so that I get to see the view of a patient... Thank you!

    As a doctor, I can’t help asking questions while reading, such as the diagnosis of ARMD in your earlier year and the prescription of your glasses five years ago (any astigmatism at that time?)... were you given corneal topography before cataract surgery? ... these questions are no longer important, and I think it’s essential for you to document this whole assay, sort things out in your mind and let it out.

    Good thing is that your vision is clearer and wider with glasses on, and you brain will continue adjust to embrace this whole new brighter-and-clearer world you see... right? ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sunny;

    ARMD — This diagnosis, decades ago, resulted from a routine visit to an optician because I had painless, and sudden poor vision (fade) in my left eye, that I had misdiagnosed as eye strain. Within seconds of inspecting my eye, he rushed out of the room and told his assistant to arrange an immediate examination at the hospital for me. Within an hour, I was being examined by the senior teaching physician (together with a queue of baffled interns) and a possible blood vessel rupture was mentioned together with ARMD and, at the time, I knew little enough to discuss it. Follow-up examinations mentioned self-healing measures.

    Nothing was discussed with me (a common doctor problem) and I remember being quite unfazed by the whole episode, such that, as a keen photographer, I was more interested in the type of film being used, e.g., Kodak or Agfa ? ��

    I remember, over a decade ago, being instructed to look into your eyes (I shall never forget) and it resulted in a very red photo image of my retina, but I can’t remember the term "corneal topography” before. But all examinations since have been with many types of optical equipment where I would mention the historical information, but I have never been shown specific diagrams of my own situation. The recent cataract surgeon (Chinese) focussed (excuse the pun) on my cataracts.

    The next examination, five years ago, resulted in a different prescription, i.e., every single measurement was different and, as I mentioned before, astigmatism was never mentioned … and I assumed that it was for simple reading glasses which, now, makes me feel foolish … and annoyed.

    ReplyDelete