Thursday 19 November 2015

Immigration 4 - Assimilation



I’ve wanted to write this for some time.  Ever since I realized that my posts were becoming rants.

I’m a nice guy.  Really.  And I feel that I know something about fundamental Islam (I’ve lived and worked in Islamic countries).

Fortunately, I am an immigrant who became a citizen ... and I use the word ‘fortunately’, wisely.

It was easier for me to assimilate into Canadian culture, although I don’t usually like to get up on a Sunday morning and drive, half asleep, to a restaurant for ‘brunch’, eh.

But, now, I find myself frustrated by misunderstood Muslims who exacerbate the Islamic Problem.

This isn’t about hate.  Buddhism taught me that ... Christianity too.  It is about assimilation.

Let me conjure up a common scene for you:
A city center on a sunny weekend.  Any large city in Canada (This could also apply, for example, in the U.K. or the U.S.).
Imagine being able to stand in a prominent position overlooking the scene.
Now, scan the crowd and identify a French Canadian.  Possible?  No.
Ok, try to identify an Italian Canadian, a Korean Canadian, or a Mexican Canadian.  Impossible.  Right?

Now, try to identify a Muslim Canadian.  Oh, wow!  That’s easier than eating strawberry ice cream.

But it’s not about numbers.  It doesn’t matter if there are 25 or 25,000, they are identifiable, and it’s got nothing to do with religion.  The Qu’ran demands only that they should dress “modestly”.  Just like my mother, I suppose.
In my opinion, it’s about the Muslims misinterpreted belief that they are different.  That a world defined by Sharia law would be perfection.  Quiet, moderate, Muslims do not loudly decry the Islamic inspired atrocities because they are patiently ... waiting.

Actually, back in the city center, there are a few young Muslims who look like other Canadians but, unfortunately, they are too afraid to be identified by demanding that their imams teach assimilation and not contradistinction ... hopefully, in one of the two official languages.

Is it enough to just simply "hope"?


2 comments:

  1. Imagine the peace even world peace when the Global Caliphate is created. Men will not be required to think but drink coffee and smoke hooka pipes while women do the work. We will pray five times a day or is it seven times. One Caliph will rule the world probably from a palace in Mecca and each part of the world will have a sub-caliph something like the Pope runs the RC church with local bishops. Islam is a peaceful cult so war will not occur. Anyone who disobeys or resists will simply disappear to prevent discord. World peace at last.

    ReplyDelete