Saturday 13 January 2018

The Minimum Wage Law



  This morning, I noticed that Tim Hortons continues to be in trouble because of its’ response to the provincial government’s new minimum wage law.  While I agree that they (Tim Hortons) had to do something, this should not have been a surprise to them, and they should not have been singled-out as the only business to be affected.

  It reminds me of a Toronto Star (1995) comment when Tim Hortons was merged with Wendy’s.  “The spectacle of another great Canadian icon, one more priceless chocolate coconut cream-filled dutchie glazed cruller Timbit of our precious heritage, gone to Yankee burgerfat; burp … and nobody around to pass the Maalox?"

  Then, when it was taken over by Popeyes (Restaurant Brands International) originally known as ‘Chicken on the Run’, you must have heard me screaming as I tore out my hair.

  But I digress.

  Why should there be a minimum wage?  That is the question.  Is a good happy life dependant upon wages?  Really? (Think about that).  Is a millionaire happy with his (her) income?  Most would probably say “No!”  Therefore, if things are to be made legal and relatively fair, why not have a maximum wage?

  Could we not adjust the liberal welfare system such that it provides, generally-speaking, sufficient funds to keep everyone above the poverty level … and set a fair minimum wage slightly above that, ensuring that employment is preferable to welfare.  Not to mention a conservative maximum wage … without percentage calculations (Remember).

  Please voice your thoughts below.



2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Karl Marx but based on tim bits of knowledge learned over decades of living you sound a lot like him in modern dress. "From each according to his ability to each according to his needs".
    "His" is this case is M/F/TG/Bi/Undetermined, we must be inclusive.

    ReplyDelete


  2. It should be wise if I sadly admit to knowing very little about Karl Marx, but I thank you for your accurate view to my thinking. I like the sound of analytical philosopher and would be proud to have just a fraction of his ability.

    Nevertheless, I don't accept, totally, his thoughts on inclusivity which, in this century is being ignorantly acquired by the 'entitlement' community.



    ReplyDelete