Thursday 3 November 2011

Education 2 - Education Standards


It was not surprising, recently, to hear someone express concern regarding the job market as it related to the value of college degrees.  It seems that high school graduates are destined to fast-food employment because worthwhile jobs require a minimum of a Bachelor degree.

This made me wonder if, eventually, in order to obtain any worthwhile employment, a Doctorate would be necessary.  Does this seem like an extreme thought?

When I was in my teens, I do not remember knowing anyone with a university degree (Except my teachers ... and I sometimes doubted that).

Now, following a lifetime in the real world, it seems that almost everyone has been to university, yet, I often question the evidence of academic improvement.  I could suggest, on the whole, that the average I.Q. has risen but, equally, the rate of academic knowledge has slowed, if not reversed.

It would seem to me that the only answer is to reorganize school curriculums downwards by, for example, making high school examinations similar to today’s university degree.  Thus, making this new level mandatory.  I used the word ‘similar’ because, as previously stated, if there is a rise in student intelligence, this should also be reflected in an examination.

One should be reminded that one does not 'graduate' today until succeeding in three years of university study, suggesting to me that the graduate has only just reached an 'introductory' level.  A controversial suggestion, no doubt.

I suggest that a result of this modification to school curriculums shall not only produce more suitable job applicants, but finer teachers ... without extra costs.


3 comments:

  1. The level of education required to get a job has gone from Grade 8, to Grade 12 to BA and probably as the trend goes a Masters at least. The trend is silly but a degree does not indicate the person is educated or capable of independent thought or action. If you look at the mess on Wall Street and many companies you'll find MBA's are running the zoo. They're trained to be greedy and have no social responsibility.
    A young person should learn the basics o business, how to start their own business and a skill to sell to the market. They don't teach that a University.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles Darwin, a proponent of the theory of evolution, explained that apes may have evolved from dolphins and we evolved from apes, which indicates why our shared genes gives us all eight fingers and two thumbs, but it does not end there. Our incredibly sophisticated molecular makeup provides us with discrete fingerprints (So to speak) and our brains also develop our intelligence in ways that can not be entirely attributed to education.

    Now, what am I rambling on about? The trend mentioned above is not "silly", it results from the theory of natural selection. Therefore, our educators must accomodate this. Thus, it is my suggestion that education should be a vehicle that permits development of intelligence ... education for its own sake is insufficient.

    Students should be taught with methods that create highly intelligent graduates who, then (I agree with you) progress into fields, such as, business administration ... or zoology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bound to add the necessity to mention an increasing trend (in my opinion) of teachers being bullied, and worse, by some students to award higher marks (even the deletion of failure) even with the encouragement of parents.

    ReplyDelete