Sunday 13 November 2011

Food 4 - More Ruffled Feathers


Following on from last month, I have more points to make for the restaurant scene.  Firstly, we seem to have gone from minimalist to modernist creations.  Now, we can experiment with deep-fried ice cream or ice cream topped with bacon bits, and I hate to imagine what direction this will lead.  One restaurant, apparently, cooks a fried egg where the yolk and egg white are cooked separately, then, served together — it was explained that each item requires a different cooking time!
Yesterday, with the thought of minimalist creations on my mind, I ordered a Black Forrest Schnitzel at a Schnitzelfest event.  It was described as a veal cutlet topped with ham, white asparagus, and béchamel sauce.  As the enzymes in my stomach were discussing their hunger, I queried the availability of other vegetables.  To which the server responded in a very condescending tone, “Of course, there is a choice of potatoes and a variety of vegetables, sir.”  He left me to push my nose further into my glass of wine.  His name was Matt ... by the way.
The last sentence was written to alert Matt that this Blog is read, so far, in ten different countries.  Although it is difficult to believe, considering the few comments that it receives.
During a visit to the Caribbean recently, I noticed how easy it was to find bluefin tuna on the menu, a species close to extinction, and idiot customers responding by saying, “Well, it’s dead now, so pity to waste it.”
A Newsflash from Canada — The city of Toronto has banned the sale of real shark fin soup, and the Chinese community is infuriated.  I suppose that it spells the demise of the Chinese population because their virility will be in danger.  By the way Chinese people, black bears without gall bladders may also be in danger.
There is a useful item on the market for those of you who visit authentic Chinese restaurants.  It can scan Chinese characters of the menu and immediately translate them into English.  Someone tried it for me ... the dish was called, Phoenix on White Cloud.  Knowing the story of the phoenix, I assumed that the dish would be burnt and there would be a fried egg on top.
Finally, what is it about fresh-ground pepper that it seems hardly ever used by the chef.  Surely, if the chef’s creation needed fresh-ground pepper, he would have used it.  And if, according to my taste, some more is desirable, how would I know immediately the dish is placed in front of me.  One day, I shall ask the server to leave the grinder on the table ... even if his name is Matt.




2 comments:

  1. Your gourmet experiences are indeed interesting. As a restaurant critic you have more experience still to gain.
    Why do Chinese like to consume the product of endangered species. I'm thinking of sharks fins, rhinoceros horns, bear bladders and who knows what other species that are caught between diminishing supply and increasing demand. It is unlikely the Chinese people will become extinct any time soon.
    As the world population increases many other creatures will disappear. Whales and tuna are vulnerable to the factory harvesting practices of several nations.
    I wonder what would happen if a wealthy culture developed an appetite for human tissue either as a delicacy or a sexual stimulant. That would soon end the population explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize that my comments were generic and personal ... I have many specific restaurant reviews elsewhere as they do not fit the present format or international readership of this Blog.

    Shark fin soup must be separated from the other items listed above because, generally speaking, it is considered an expensive delicacy that is supposed to display the exaggerated affluence of the consumer. Also, artificial sharks fin is available containing identical nutrients (Whatever they are) and is indistinguishable from the real thing. I understand that some Chinese customers unknowingly purchase the artificial fins, which brings a smile to my face. I see no need to repeat descriptions of the obvious cruel slaughter of these endangered creatures.

    Rhinoceros horns and bear bladders are not considered to be delicacies, but foul tasting aphrodisiac potions who's benefits can be duplicated by any aspirin placebo.

    The harvesting of whales is controversial and there is some evidence that present levels may be sustainable. Of the tuna, only the blue fin tuna species is endangered.

    Your final paragraph reminds me of China's harvesting of human organs for selective transplant operations by rich Chinese patients. A subject worthy of obstructing this Blog by certain police authorities ... unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete