Friday 11 November 2011

Politics 6 - Israel/Canada

When I initially began this Blog site, it was not my intention to write about any one subject, e.g., Politics, more than once each month.  But reading the Canadian media this morning has annoyed me so much that my patience has disappeared.

I am referring to the behaviour of Mr. Baird, Canada’s Foreign Minister, at a committee meeting of the U.N.’s General Assembly yesterday, where he voted, No, together with only six other countries;  Israel, the United States and four small South Pacific island nations – Palau, Micronesia, the Marshall Islands and Nauru, for resolutions against Israel.

I doubt if anyone reading this could point to these islands on a map and, thus, we can be excused for any suspicious thoughts we may have for their behaviour.

It is especially annoying as we know that Canada’s, so-called, majority government only received one-third of the popular vote at the last election, and it seems to me, as I read the newspapers today, that many who did vote for this government are also expressing great disappointment today.

It amazed me that Mr. Baird could state, “This series of resolutions against Israel is generally one-sided, and unbalanced ...”  Does he not realize that the resolutions are “one-sided and unbalanced” because the rest of the world does not accept Israel’s terrorism.  Additionally, if both Russia and China would not abstain or veto against these resolutions, we should see a very different Middle East.

Mr. Bell, a former Canadian ambassador to Israel, Egypt and Jordan, said that it will affect the role Canada can play in the Middle East.  In the past, Israel asked Canada to intervene with Arab governments to moderate criticism. “I don’t think that would be possible today,” he said.  I agree.



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Bernie. Mr. Baird is playing the lap dog role to Washington. Mr. Harper is being nice to Israel for reasons that are hard to comprehend. The Americans don't give a fig for what Canada thinks or wants as long as we carry spears in their wars and that might be soon when they attack Iran. Canadian will have to rise up in righteous indignation when the Harper governments signs on for regime change in Tehran.
    By the way my blog titled John Outram, has been blacklisted by Google. It is still there but I cannot access it to add anything new. I suspect they will take it down soon. There are a couple of my old blogs that I can add too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you aware that the German Armed Forces have a Trade Union? I'm not kidding. Just imagine a unionized Canadian Armed Forces.
    Mr.Harper: "I'm sending you to fight Iran."
    Canadian General: "Sorry, you can't do that while we're on strike."

    ReplyDelete