Saturday 11 August 2012

Travel 6 - South East Asia (Thailand)

Firstly, I should mention that this is not meant to be a travelogue intending to entice you to visit, it is just my personal memory of an event.  Travelling to Thailand is a wonderful experience.  Secondly, unlike Bangladesh, the immigration controls were very friendly, because Canadians do not require an entry visa.    And, thirdly, although I had travelled to the country before, to the very ancient city of Chiang Mai (which is very typical of cities in this part of Asia), this time, my friend and I flew to Bangkok (the capital) and it was a tremendous surprise.  From the huge modern Suvamabhumi International Airport to a city of high-rise buildings and good roads, we instantly noticed a comparison between the unruly traffic congestion of Dhaka with the polite diligent drivers of Bangkok.


Day Time - Lumphini Park, Bangkok


Our multi-starred hotel was great, and arriving a couple of days before the international conference, we were able to look around and relax.  During the conference, I toured on my own, and my friend became almost a stranger ... but we had the evenings together, and took advantage of a river cruise to enjoy views of the many illuminated temples, etc.


Night Time - River Chao Phraya, Bangkok

Later, we stayed on for a few extra days, and flew down to the town of Hat Yai in the southern province of Songkhla, where my friend had previously taught at a university, and met some old friends (Actually, a one hour drive further south).  They had deliberately not been warned of our arrival in order to avoid great welcoming celebrations, but the abundance of joyous tears everywhere was extremely moving, and a perfect example of Thai hospitality.  Then, we had to force ourselves away on an overnight train to Bangkok.

A final evening at a Thai restaurant was mandatory, of course.

When in Thailand, Eat Thai Food ... Of Course

Then, back to the anticlimax of Bangladesh, which lasted a few more days until returning to Canada (Another anticlimax).

Early Morning Arrival - London, Ontario


2 comments:

  1. That's an amazing picture of an airplane wing over London.
    The dinner in Thailand must have been scrumptious considering the delicate morsel at the table with you.
    Bon appétit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you, I rather like it myself ... the pilot timed it perfectly.

      But, unfortunately, my camera wasn't happy trying to adjust for her dark blue blouse or, more accurately, my bright white shirt.

      Delete